Match Report: Leyton Orient 2 Rochdale 1 – 05/05/12


Orient rounded off the season with a 2-1 win over relegated Rochdale, thanks to a spectacular strike from Moses Odubajo. Dean Cox scored his ninth goal of the season, giving Orient the lead just after the half-hour mark and Odubajo added a second shortly after from 25 yards out. Rochdale striker Reece Gray scored a consolation goal for the visitors after the break. The victory was Orient’s first for seven games and it brought their total number of home wins to six for the season.

The hosts started well, with the first chance of the game falling to Jimmy Smith from a Dean Cox free-kick, but the masked midfielder could not get his header on target. The O’s continued to launch crosses into the box. Syam Ben Youssef headed Matthew Spring’s cross towards goal but the effort was blocked on the line. Orient players and fans claimed that the ball had crossed the line, but the match officials were unconvinced. Orient continued to push for the opening goal, but Rochdale managed a number of last-ditch blocks to deny the home side.  On 32 minutes, Orient made the breakthrough. Dean Cox’s effort ricocheted off the turf and over Rochdale goalkeeper Matty Edwards. Odubajo was handed his first start of his professional career and he certainly took his opportunity five minutes before half-time.  The full-back dribbled inside from the right flank and unleashed a shot with his left foot, which flew into the Rochdale goal. It was a great moment for the O’s youngster and a strong candidate for Orient’s goal of the season.


Cox's free-kick provides Smith with a chance at the far post


Rochdale had offered little offensively during the first period but they looked much brighter after the restart. Rochdale midfielder Andrew Tutte forced a good save from Jamie Jones. It was apparent that neither side had anything to play for and that allowed Russell Slade the opportunity to give Billy Lobjoit and Afolabi Obafemi a taste of first team football from the bench. However, Rochdale set up a close finish to the game, when they pulled a goal back with fifteen minutes to go.  Reece Gray dribbled past the Orient defence with ease, before slotting the ball into the Orient net. The home side were keen to prevent the same mistakes made in the previous home game against Yeovil and they continued to look for a third goal to seal the win. Kevin Lisbie went close with a header from a corner and Cox almost grabbed a second, but his volley was blocked by the Rochdale defence. Soon after, referee Stuart Attwell blew the final whistle to bring the curtain down on a disappointing season for the O’s.

Orient launch another ball into the Rochdale box




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.