Play-off History: Rotherham United

Play-off History: Rotherham United


Ahead of the League One Play-off Final, we look at Rotherham United’s past experience in the play-offs:

Rotherham United


Fourth Division Play-off 1987/88

After finishing 21st in the Third Divison in 1987/88 Rotherham went into the play-offs. In order to avoid relegation to the Fourth Division the Millers would have to win the competition. Rotherham faced sixth-placed Swansea, while Torquay met Scunthorpe.

Rotherham lost 1-0 against Swansea in the first leg at Vetch Field. They only managed to draw 1-1 in the second leg at Millmoor, therefore the Millers lost 2-1 on aggregate, meaning they were relegated.

Torquay defeated Scunthorpe 3-2 over two legs to reach the play-off final. Swansea won promotion to the Third Division by beating the Gulls 5-4 on aggregate over two legs.


Third Division Play-off 1998/99

In 1998/99 Rotherham finished fifth in Division Three, setting up a play-off semi-final against Tommy Taylor’s Leyton Orient who had finished sixth. The tie was still in the balance going in to the second leg, after the first meeting between the sides ended goalless at Brisbane Road.

The match at Millmoor was just as tight and the teams could not be separated even after extra-time, meaning the match had to be decided on penalties. The Millers converted just two of their spot kicks, while Smith, Ling, Morrison and Lockwood all scored their penalties, sending the O’s through to the final.

Orient went on to lose the final by one goal to nil against Scunthorpe at Wembley Stadium.


League Two Play-off 2009/10

Rotherham’s last appearance in the play-offs saw them reach the final. In 2009/10 Ronnie Moore led the Millers to a fifth-place finish in League Two.

They faced Aldershot Town in the semi-finals and took a slender lead into the second leg after winning 1-0 at the Recreation Ground.  They then went on to win the home leg 2-0, putting them through to the final with a 3-0 win on aggregate.

John Still’s Dagenham & Redbridge side (which featured Romain Vincelot)  overcame Morcambe over two legs to book their place in the final.

Rotherham found themselves a goal down after 38 minutes, but they managed to equalise almost immediately after. The Daggers restored their advantage ten minutes into the second half, but the Millers hit back again five minutes later to make it 2-2. However, with twenty minutes left on the clock Dagenham & Redbridge scored a third goal, sealing their promotion to League One.



No comments yet.

No one have left a comment for this post yet!

Leave a comment