Orient Sign Henderson


Leyton Orient have sign Darius Henderson on a 3 year contract.  The 32 year-old striker had agreed the mutual termination of his contract with former club Nottingham Forest.

Darius Henderson

Age: 32

D.O.B: 07/09/1981

Nationality: English

Height: 183 cm (6′)

Weight: 82 kg (12st 12lbs)

Career Apps: 440

Career Goals: 122


The Sutton-born striker began his career at Reading, making his senior debut in March 2000 against Burnley. He went on to make five more appearance at the end of 1999/00 and he was used sporadically during the following season, appearing on six occasions.

The 2001/02 season was something of a breakthrough year for Henderson as he managed 45 appearances, though many of those were as a substitute.  He scored his first senior goal against Luton in August 2001 in the League Cup and he added a second in that game to seal a 4-0 win. He scored 11 goals in total that term, one of which was scored in the Football League Trophy tie against Barnet, a match in which he also received his first red card of his senior career.

The following season was not as successful for Henderson as he scored just four goals in 25 appearances. As a result, he was loaned out to Brighton at the start of the 2003/04 season.  During his time with the Seagulls he scored two goals in 10 games. He returned to Reading and played what would be his last game for the club in November. In total he scored 15 goals in 83 appearances for Reading, of which 71 appearances were as a substitute.

In January 2004 Gillingham paid a nominal fee to sign Henderson. He played six games for the Gills, scoring one goal, but his season was cut short by injury.  At the beginning of 2004/05 he was sent on loan to Swindon Town in League One where he impressed with five goals in six games. He returned to the Priestfield Stadium at the end of September and featured regularly for the rest of the campaign, scoring nine goals in 33 games in the Championship.

In the summer of 2005 Aidy Boothroyd paid £450,000 to bring Henderson to Watford. He marked his Hornets debut with a goal (though Watford lost 2-1 to Preston), and he went on to score another 14 goals in a further 33 appearances. Watford finished the 2005/06 in third place, claiming a play-off place. After beating Crystal Palace over two legs, the Hornets met Leeds in the final at the Millenium Stadium. Watford won promotion to the Premier League with a 3-0 win that was capped off by a penalty from Henderson.



He played in 41 games in his only season in the Premier League to date, but he managed just three goals, one of which gave Watford all three points against West Ham. With the Hornets back in the Championship for 2007/08, Henderson scored 12 goals in 41 games, helping his team to reach the play-offs. Henderson manged to score against Hull in the semi-finals but the Tigers comfortably progressed to the final with a 6-1 win on aggregate.

In July 2008 Henderson moved to Sheffield United for a fee of £2 million. In his first season at Bramall Lane he scored 7 times in 37 games as the Blades reached the play-offs. He was also sent-off on two occasions in 2008/09. He bettered his goal tally in the season that followed, scoring 12 in 35 games. In April 2010 Henderson suffered a serious hamstring injury that kept him on the sidelines for the best part of a year. He returned to action in March 2011 against his former club Watford, but he was sent off after just 28 minutes. He made just 8 appearances in 2010/11 , scoring two goals, both of which were scored in the 3-2 win over Reading.

June 2011 saw Henderson move to Millwall. After his long spell on the sidelines he returned to form, scoring 19 goals in 34 games, his best goalscoring return in a single season to date. The following year he scored seven goals in his first 15 games of the season.

In January 2013 Millwall allowed Henderson to join Nottingham Forest for free on a short term contract. His first goal for Forest came in the 6-1 demolition of Huddersfield, but he scored just once more before the end of the season. Henderson signed a new two year contract with Forest in June 2013.

Last term was his first full season at the City Ground and Henderson managed nine goals in 38 games. Henderson and Forest have agreed to part company, allowing him to join the O’s.


Like all of Russell Slade’s new signings this summer, Henderson has experience at a higher level and if he can avoid injuries and suspensions (he has been sent off nine times in the last 10 seasons) he could prove to be a very good addition to the squad.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.