MATCH PREVIEW: Gateshead v Leyton Orient – FA Trophy Quarter Final Replay


The O’s will be looking to put their capitulation from the first tie behind them and return to winning ways on the road when they make the long trip to Gateshead. However, they will face a well-rested Gateshead side. Here we preview Tuesday night’s game:


This Season

National League: 14th  FA Cup: 2nd Round FA Trophy: Quarter Final Top scorers: Burrow & Johnson 6

Gateshead haven’t played since the original tie against the O’s at Brisbane Road on the 24th February.

The replay was, of course, postponed a week ago due to the weather and the Heed’s trip to face Tranmere at the weekend was also postponed due to a frozen pitch at Prenton Park.

Last Line-up:


Vassell  Kerr  Byrne  Barrow

Penn  Preston  McLaughlin

York  Burrow  Peniket


Hanford, Williams, Johnson (York 58′), McNall (Penn 89′), Greenwood (Burrow 85′)


Team News

Gateshead boss Steve Watson is likely to have almost a full complement of players to choose from on Tuesday night.

Ben Fox will be one player to miss out as he is cup-tied. The loanee from Burton Albion appeared in the competition during a loan spell with Solihull Moors earlier in the season.

Jamal Fyfield missed the opportunity to return to Brisbane Road as he was suspended for the original tie, however, he has served his ban and will be available.

Ex O’s

Jamal Fyfield began his career with Orient as a trainee, however, he left the club in 2007 without having made a senior appearance.



[textmarker color=”DE1212″ type=”background color”]Leyton Orient[/textmarker]

Orient’s trip to Dover Athletic was the only fixture in the National League last weekend as all the other games in the fifth tier fell victim to the weather. Dover had worked had to get the game on, and they were rewarded as they sealed all three points.

Josh Koroma tested the Dover keeper from a free-kick after a quarter-of-an-hour. From the corner that followed, Craig Clay’s header was blocked on the goal-line by Nortei Nortey.

Shortly before the break, Macauley Bonne had a good chance to put the O’s ahead. He was played through on goal by Clay, but Bonne fired high over the crossbar.

Dover had a couple of opportunities either side of the break, one of which saw Giancarlo Gallifuoco force a good save from Dean Brill.

Just after the hour, Nortei Nortey was denied by the woodwork following a free-kick. At the other end, Dan Holman’s effort was saved and Reynolds’ shot rebounded off of the post.

In the 83rd minute, Mitch Pinnock scored the winner in style, with a looping shot on the bounce that found the top corner.

That goal ended a six-match unbeaten run for Justin Edinburgh’s side.


Last Line-up:


Caprice  Coulson  Widdowson  Ling

Koroma  Adams  Clay  Reynolds

Holman  Bonne


Grainger, Ekpiteta (Reynolds 78′), Lawless, Brophy (Ling 66′), Harrold (Caprice 87′)


Team News

Dan Happe missed Saturday’s game due to illness and as a result, Joe Widdowson shifted to center-back and Sam Ling came into the side at left-back.

Justin Edinburgh also named Marvin Ekpiteta among the substitutes after recalling him from his loan spell at East Thurrock United.

James Brophy was also suffering with the same illness as Happe, but he was fit enough to make the bench and played the best part of half-an-hour.

There is also concern that the illness willhave spread through the squad, so a number of players may be assesed ahead of the game.

Experienced duo Jobi McAnuff and George Elokobi have been out of action of late due to neck and hamstring injuries respectively. They are doubts for the trip to Gateshead.

The O’s will be without Sam Ling, Nathan Mavila, and Dan Holman as the trio are all cup-tied.

Charlie Lee (knee) and James Dayton (calf) remain on the sidelines.



In the original tie at Brisbane Road. Leyton Orient squandered a commanding three-goal lead as Gateshead came back to take the FA Trophy tie to a replay that looked unlikely with half-an-hour to go.

Josh Koroma broke the deadlock ten minutes before the break as he fired the ball across the ‘keeper and into the bottom corner of the net.

Five minutes in to the second-half the O’s doubled their lead as Jake Caprice teed up Ebou Adams and the Norwich loanee powered the ball into the top corner of the Gateshead goal from outside the box.

Josh Coulson then made it 3-0 as he nodded the ball home from a Koroma free-kick.

However, Gateshead pulled a goal back with just over twenty minutes to go. Both Coulson and Happe failed to deal with a low cross which eventually came to Danny Johnson and he curled the ball past Brill.

Ten minutes later, Johnson reduced the deficit further, slotting the ball into the far corner after being played through on goal.

The visitors had the momentum and their fightback was complete in stoppage time when Richard Peniket headed home the equaliser.


In the National League fixture at Brisbane Road back in October and Gateshead won 0-2.

Jordan Burrow put the visitors ahead inside the first ten minutes as Orient failed to defend the cross to him, allowing Burrow to head home from close range.

After the break, David Mooney had a golden opportunity from Jake Caprice’s cross. However, Mooney hesitated, taking too many touches before firing the ball at the Gateshead goalkeeper when he really should have scored.

Ten minutes from time, the away side capitalised on a mixup at the back and sealed their victory. Mark Ellis nodded the ball past Charlie Grainger as the Orient stopper rushed out of his goal, which left Burrow with an open goal to grab a brace.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.