MATCH PREVIEW: Leyton Orient v Barrow- National League


[textmarker color=”E32424″ type=”background color”]Leyton Orient[/textmarker]

On Tuesday night the O’s came agonizingly close to claiming their first win of the season, only for them to be denied all three points thanks to a deflected goal in the latter stages.

Despite, visitors Ebbsfleet making the better start to the game, it was the O’s who took a first-half lead.  Macauley Bonne broke through the Ebbsfleet defence and cut the ball back for James Brophy, who coolly slotted the ball into the far corner of the Ebbsfleet net.

In the second half, the O’s had opportunities to put the game beyond the visitors. First Josh Koroma was denied by Nathan Ashmore, then the Fleet ‘keeper made an important save to stop James Alabi one-on-one.

Orient paid the price, as Corey Whitely’s low shot took a deflection and beat Dean Brill to make it 1-1.

Right at the death, Macauley Bonne had a chance to snatch all three points for the O’s, but Ashmore held his header and the referee blew the final whistle.


Last Line-up:


Ling  Coulson  Elokobi  Widdowson

McAnuff  Clay  Lawless  Brophy

Bonne  Alabi



Sargeant, Ekpiteta (Elokobi 3′), Lee (Lawless 75′), Koroma (Brophy 66′), Dayton


Team News

The O’s were dealt an early blow on Tuesday night as George Elokobi suffered a hamstring injury after just two minutes. Marvin Ekpiteta replaced the former Wolves man, who looks set for a spell on the sidelines.

James Brophy was also subbed off against Ebbsfleet, however, that was due to fatigue rather than injury and therefore he is expected to be available for the Saturday’s game.

Dale Gorman is still recovering from the broken ankle that he suffered last term. Matt Harrold is also yet to return to full fitness following his hamstring injury.




[textmarker color=”064BC2″ type=”background color”]Barrow AFC[/textmarker]

Last Season

National League: 20th FA Cup: 4th Q Round  FA Trophy: 2nd Round  Top scorer: Byron Harrison  8

Barrow narrowly avoided relegation from the National League last term as they finished 20th, surviving by just one point.

Ady Pennock left the club at the end of the campaign and Barrow appointed former Blackpool defender Ian Evatt as Pennock’s successor. Evatt had previously been a caretaker manager at Chesterfield at the end of last term as the Spireites were relegated to the National League.

Evatt overhauled the squad during the summer, overseeing a number of arrivals and departures.

This Season

Barrow began their 2018/19 National League campaign with a home fixture against newly-promoted Havant and Waterlooville. The 2017-18 National League South champions were comfortably beaten by Barrow by three goals to nil as new arrival Tyler Smith found the net and Jack Hindle bagged a brace.

However, on Tuesday night Ian Evatt’s men suffered defeat on their trip to Halifax Town. Dayle Southwell gave the hosts the lead two minutes before the break. Jack Hindle came closest to equalising for Barrow in the second half.

Just as they had done in the first half, Halifax scored in the last two minutes of the half to seal the win. Matty Brown headed the ball home from a corner to make it 2-0.


Last Line-up:

Firth, Brown, Jones, Granite, Wilson, Taylor, Rooney, Kay, Hindle, Smith, Turner.


Elsdon, Waterston, Burgess, Correia, Barthram

Team News

Barrow suffered a couple of injuries to key players on Tuesday night. Like the O’s, Barrow were forced to make an early substitution as centre back Brian Wilson suffered a recurrence of a calf injury. Wilson will be out of action for a month.

Wilson was replaced by Matt Elsdon, but he too was forced off the pitch later on the in the game after sustaining a knee injury. The extent of Elsdon’s injury is unclear, however, he is set to miss the trip to Brisbane Road.

As a result of those injuries, Ian Evatt added West Brom defender Kyle Jameson to his squad this week. The teenager has joined Barrow on a half-season loan deal and he could play a part against Orient.

Barrow have also added 19-year-old midfielder Luke Burgess on loan from Wigan Athletic.

Striker Jacob Blyth is still recovering from the shoulder injury that he suffered in pre-season and therefore is not yet available. Goalkeeper Joel Dixon is also working his way back to fitness following knee surgery.


When the two sides met at Holker Street last October, Barrow fought back not once but twice to claim a point in a 2-2 draw.

David Mooney gave the O’s the lead after twenty minutes, finishing from a James Brophy cross. However, their lead lasted just four minutes as Bedsente Gomis put Barrow back on level terms.

Craig Clay restored Orient’s advantage just before the half-hour with a close-range finish following a goal-mouth scramble. The hosts hit back again in the last five minutes of the first half, with Jordan White getting on the scoresheet.

Barrow’s trip to Brisbane Road last season ended in defeat as Justin Edinburgh’s men won by four goals to one.

It was the away side who took an early lead as Luke James put Barrow ahead after just seven minutes.  Orient equalised just before the half-hour as Macauley Bonne’s near post flick on from a corner deflected in off of Dan Jones.

Josh Koroma finished at the far post to put Orient in front with twenty minutes to go. Shortly after, Barrow went down to ten men as Dan Jones was dismissed. Macauley Bonne then scored a brace in stoppage time to seal a 4-1 win.



[textmarker color=”000000″ type=”background color”]Match Officials[/textmarker]


Tom Reeves


Ryan Haynes & Chris Felton

Fourth Official: 

Kane Dempster



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.